Monday, April 12, 2010


On occasion, I find the perfect piece of wall art, but it's not a standard size and I'm left wondering how to frame it. A custom matte can be pricey, and I don't always find one I like.

Here's an idea that I've used a few times now when my artwork is a non-standard size and I can't find a matte to fit it.  I just take my print to the craft store and pick out a coordinating piece of scrapbook paper.  Something to complement the artwork as well as match the frame I intend to use.

Next, I cut the scrapbook paper to fit the frame.  Then I adhere my print to the center of the paper before framing it.

Here are a few examples of non-standard size artwork where I used scrapbook paper as the "matte" before framing...

I purchased these prints online for my laundry room.  Unfortunately, they were not a regular size.  So I used some black and white scrapbook paper which I had on hand.  I taped the print to the paper, then framed the paper. 




Bonus:  I picked up these matching frames at Goodwill and spraypainted them black.  Both prints got framed for less than $5! 

These do have black mattes in them that came with the frames, but the scrapbook paper helps fill the space.


Here's a few painting I framed for my daughter's room.  They are 9x12 canvas sheets framed in big 12x12 square frames.  The frames are garage sale finds that I painted white:








This is a small picture that I put in a large frame. I made a matte by layering several different sheets of scrapbook paper:



I created these HIS and HERS signs for our master bath.  I printed the words using a cursive font directly onto scrapbook paper.  Then I centered them onto a coordinating scrapbook paper and framed them:


Here's a close up view:
These custom silhouette profiles were an odd size.  And I wanted them framed in oval frames.  This black and white scrapbook paper was the perfect solution for a matte.  I just taped the profile pics to the paper which I cut to fit the frame.  Easy peesy!


Original mattes for your artwork!  At the cost of a sheet of scrapbook paper!  Sweeeeet!

I'm linking this idea to Room To Inspire's Inspiration Party!

Hope this tip was helpful! Thanks for checking in!
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.
Posted in :

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.