Tuesday, November 2, 2010

This week I tried my hand at making a gingerbread themed tassel ornament.  Here’s how I made mine…
First, I went to Hobby Lobby and bought a wooden candlestick holder and a wooden ball (with flat bottom) and painted them brown (Folk Art Teddy Bear Brown and shading with Folk Art Real Brown).
IMG_1037
I also purchased some eyelet screws from Hobby Lobby and put one in the center at the top of the ball.  To get the hole started, I hammered a small nail first, then it was easy to screw  in the eyelet.
IMG_1040
Time to get out your glue gun! I used about 6-7 different ribbons and a couple of fringe pieces in varying widths and patterns and started gluing.  I started at the bottom and glued a few strips of wide striped  rick rack. (Note, the bottom of the tassel is actually the top of the candlestick holder.  I hot glued the pieces around the rim of the holder.)
IMG_1041 IMG_1043
Below you can see how I glued these first strips into the candle holder area…IMG_1045
Next, I glued ribbon into loops around the base of the tassel.
IMG_1046
Keep going with different ribbon as you create new layers up the tassel, being careful not to cover up previous layers.  I like the loops because it created a lot of volume.  Be sure your strips are long enough to loop and still hang where you want them to before you start gluing.
Creating more layers using fringe and ribbon…
IMG_1047 IMG_1048 IMG_1049 IMG_1050
Below is where I’d do things different next time.  When I got to the top, I did a row of dangling white rick rack before the last layer of brown gingham.  If I make another tassel, I’d do all ribbon loops and/ or add another layer of fringe just for the fullness.
IMG_1052
I painted a gingerbread face on the ball using white Folk Art dimensional paint, and while that was drying…
IMG_1055
… I glued a braided fringe around the top edge of the tassel, covering all the end pieces of the ribbons and excess glue.  Then I hot glued the “head” to the tassel and tied a bow in the eyelet on top!  (There’s still room in the eyelet for an ornament hook for hanging.)
IMG_1056
Below are a couple of photos of the final tassel.
IMG_1058 IMG_1059
One trick I tried was singeing any raw edge of fringe or rick rack to keep it from fraying.  (This wasn’t necessary on the layers with loops, because both raw edges are out of sight.)  When you hold the rick rack close enough to the flame, you can actually see it retract some and then when you’re done, you can feel a difference in the edge.  It “seals” the edge with a very slight texture and keeps the edge from fraying.  Nice trick.  Just don’t get too close to the flame.  If you actually singe or burn white rick rack it turns black, so be careful. I’m just sayin’.
IMG_1051
Hope this tutorial was helpful!  I will say it was fairly easy to do, just took a little time since I hadn’t made one before and there are a few supplies involved.  The hardest part for me was picking out the ribbon! So many great choices and themes, but I opted for pink and brown…
IMG_1058
Let me know if you make one, too!  I’d love to see it.  Thanks for visiting.
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.
Posted in : ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.