Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Every now and then I find these Lang calendar holders at thrift stores.  Here’s what they look like new:

I’ve been wanting to paint one for awhile ‘cause they’re nice and big, and I like the slightly scalloped edges.
Here’s the one I snatched up…
I basecoated everything with Rustoleum Heirloom White paint. My client loves harlequin patterns as much as I do, so that’s where I started.
Here’s how I do harlequin patterns….
I only wanted the pattern around the edges, so I covered the center.
The first line I draw is always from a corner to the center of the frame:
After you decide how big you want your pattern (I chose 3 inches), you just use a ruler and draw lines 3 inches apart from your original line like so:
Then repeat the lines going in the other direction.  Mine looked like this when I was done:
I thought it needed more, so I put a border in … using painters tape for straight lines.
I used my Cricut to cut the word “Blessings” and made a template for painting:
This was a LOT of trial and error….centering, adjusting, lining up…
and lots of scraps…
But in the end, the results were good:
distress detail…
The yellow diamonds were a golden ochre color, yet the client opted for black diamonds. Happy to oblige, and so the finished project looks like this:

I have a few finishing touches to add, but this project is just about wrapped up.  I’ll show a final photo when it’s done.  Thanks for visiting!

Linking up to Thrifty Decor Chick!

Linking up to CSI Project Typography party 

The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to,,,,, or

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.