Tuesday, March 1, 2011

I have a customer requesting hand painted, large (10 inch) wooden salt & pepper mills.  I found what I wanted and started with this:
Blog1
Here’s the after (in case you can’t wait!):
Blog17
Big difference, huh?  My customer wanted black, cream, harlequin, stripes and leopard print.  Here’s the process of how I created these….
First step, I took my sanding block and went to town sanding these down.  They were very shiny and smooth, and they need to be roughened up if any paint is going to stick. I sanded them, and sanded them, and sanded them some more…
I used a medium grit like this one:Blog2
After many, many sandings, they started to look like this:
Blog3 
No more shiny:Blog4
I started with a coat of acrylic paint:
Blog5
then sanded them … I know … they look horrible at this stage:
Blog6
Don’t forget to tape the knobs at the top so they don’t
get painted:
Blog7
I decided that was going to take too many coats of paint and sandings in between, so I gave them a nice solid basecoat of Restoleum’s Heirloom White spray paint:
Blog8
After a few coats, and sanding in between, they look like this (I already started painting one of them black):Blog9
I used some templates I made on my Cricut to help with the placement of the harlequin pattern, but painted the leopard pattern freehand.  Also attempted the look of stripes, but with the rounded and tapered surface I felt  it wasn’t going to look right when painted.Blog10
I decided polka dots was going to work much better on the tapered areas, and I was able to incorporate the stripes at the bottom instead (see below on left, prior to removing blue tape):
Blog11
Here is the painted set – finally!:
Blog12
Next I reached for my glaze (color = smoke):
Blog13
Using a sponge brush, I applied the glaze and then wiped off with a towel. I did this many times to get the right look, and to get glaze in the crevices.
Blog14
Now it has the aged look we were going for:Blog15
All finished except for adding the “S” and the “P” in rhinestones at the bottom:
Blog16
BEFORE:
Blog1
AFTER:
Blog17
 Finally, I added some bling and script lettering:


Hoping my client is as pleased with the results as I am!  Thanks for visiting!  Linking up to A to Z's Tutorial Tuesday and Chic on a Shoestring and Miss Mustard Seed and Funky Junk Interiors and Be Different Act Normal and Under The Table and Dreaming and The Lettered Cottage and Just a Girl.
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.