Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My collection of art supplies is ever growing.  Each time I get something, it finds a home in whatever empty can or cup is found in the pantry…
abox1
abox2
I’ve been wanting a utensil caddy for quite awhile.  Something to make this collection of brushes and markers and *stuff* look appealing.  And organized.
Finally, I came across this utensil caddy at Goodwill.  And at $1.99, it was just what I needed to get things started:
box1
A spring green and a little beat up. Not perfect and not my style.  But it had all the potential I was looking for.  The bottom had a Target sticker.
box2
First, I sanded the box very well.  If you skip this step, the paint won’t stick. I think I used an 80 grit.
sandpaper
Next, I reached for my spray paint and gave it a base coat. I used everybody’s fave:
box3
I glued a wooden applique to the front to jazz it up a bit. (Tip: I used E6000 glue, which I’ve found works great gluing wood-to-wood pieces.)
box4
Next, I gave everything a coat of black paint.  I normally would’ve spray painted this step, but the weather wasn’t cooperating and I was impatient.  My craft paint worked fine.  I used a sponge brush to get down in the different sections of the caddy.  I gave it 2-3 coats of black paint.
box5
Next, I sanded the edges…
box6
box7
The sand block worked well on the outer edges.  A strip of sandpaper worked best on the smaller sections of the box:
box8
Then I gently sanded the top of the applique so it would stand out:
box9
box10
Oooh, it’s lookin’ good now…
box10a
Finally, everything has a home:
box11
Goodbye random mix-matched cups…
box12
box14
Hello pretty storage:
box13
box15
box16
box17
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.