Tuesday, March 22, 2011

If you’ve ever had issues picking a paint color, I can totally relate!   We decided to paint our room a neural gray color.  He wanted gray; I wanted a warm, neutral backdrop for future furnishings and decorating.  How hard could this be?  Famous. Last. Words.

It started with a pile of paint swatches something like this:
blog1b

Let me just say that after studying the colors awhile, they start to look all the same:
blog2

It always helps to have a cute lil’ helper when picking colors…before3 with text

Finally after researching all the gray rooms in blog land, the articles, the pictures, etc. I settled on six samples to try. I highly, highly, highly recommend getting the samples. Best $3 ever spent.  Or $18.  Whatever.  It was so worth it, because the actual paint color looks very different when it’s on a great big wall.
blog1a
Here is what I sampled:
Sharkey Gray – Martha Stewart (Home Depot)
Frappe – Valspar (Lowe’s)
Collonade Gray – Sherwin Williams
Agreeable Gray – Sherwin Williams
Seagull Gray -  Lowe’s Seaside Retreat collection
Silver Sateen – Behr (Home Depot)

We had Home Depot color match what wasn’t theirs ‘cause we knew we wanted to use Behr paint.  Best paint ever, in my opinion.

Right off the bat, I felt Silver Sateen was too blue, so it’s not in any pictures. Sorry!

So the process begins...by the way, paint a large enough area with your sample paint so you can see how it will look. I painted small areas at first and it was no help.  Paint areas at least this big:before6

Same pic as above, but with paint names:
before6 with text
I’ll be honest.  I wanted Frappe from the get go.  Looking at the card, the color was gorgeous.  Perfect.  But having all the samples on the wall made be consider other options, which is a good thing.

My first thoughts:
Seagull gray – very pretty light gray, but not much of a change
Sharkey gray – more pink in it than what you’d think
Frappe – my favorite, though seeing it all the wall I definitely saw undertones of green
Collonade Gray – pretty, maybe too blue?
Agreeable Gray – a nice light gray, maybe not enough of a change and if we going through the trouble of painting, we wanted a big difference

Another look:
before7a
before7a with text

I stared at these walls for days.  I fell asleep staring at these walls. I tried to envision the entire room painted one of these colors.  I contemplated how I would decorate with each one. I thought about how they’d look with the ceiling color, the carpet, the adjoining bathroom walls (painted Forest Lichen, Martha Stewart). I asked for opinions from friends and family. I drove hubby nuts with my indecision. 

So what did I choose?

I chose Collonade Gray, and in the end here’s what sold me:  The Collonade Gray swatch PERFECTLY matches the London Fog swatch by Benjamin Moore,  and I found a beautiful room painted in London Fog by Dear Lillie that I loved. Just the right amount of brown undertones for a beautiful neutral gray.

Let’s get this party started…
major thanks to dad for doing all the ladder work!

blog3 with text

blog4 with text

Same paint, but big difference once it dries.
blog5 with text

The entire wall (below) is painted, but check out the various shades of color as it dries.  Most dry is on the left:

blog6

blog7 with text

Working our way around the room.  Yes, I painted too. I just also stopped to take pics.  =)
blog7a

Enough of the “during” photos…let’s move on to the AFTER:

blog8


blog9

blog10

blog11

blog13

Yep, it’s a room of hodge podge furniture, but a fresh coat of paint certainly puts me in the mood to change that.  New furniture and decorating is next.   Stay tuned!

One last look…
BEFORE
before1a

AFTER

blog8

This color totally warms up the room and we couldn’t be happier.  Now on to decorating … if you have ideas of how to decorate this room, I’d LOVE to hear it.

Linking to:
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.