Tuesday, March 29, 2011

This week I created a sign for a special order.
IMG_3046

The client wanted “nest” with a wooden applique.  Here’s how I completed the task…

After sanding and spray painting the board, I glued a wooden applique to the top, letting half of it hang off the board. 
IMG_3004 
The decorative applique is from a craft store.  I use E6000 for gluing wood-to-wood pieces.  It works very well on these surfaces.  It is also available in craft and home improvement stores and looks like this:

E6000

I used my Cricut to create a stencil and centered it on the board.

 
IMG_3006
Starting with a DRY dauber brush that I dabbed in some brown paint, I pounced the brush up and down on the stencil.
IMG_3007
If your brush is not DRY, the paint will seep under your stencil and you won’t have clean lines.   Also, pouncing up and down rather than using brush strokes will also help the paint from seeping under the stencil.

IMG_3008
Once the paint dried, I removed the stencil.  Now it’s ready to glaze.

IMG_3009
For glazing, I use Ralph Lauren’s glaze tinted in Smoke color.

blog1-3
To glaze, you can use a sponge brush to apply and then just wipe it off.  I used a Q-tip to get the glaze in all the crevices.  I sanded it slightly after it dried.

 
IMG_3036
You can repeat the glazing process as many times as you’d like to get the look you want.  Any amount of glazing will give your piece a finished, aged look. 

IMG_3046

IMG_3047


IMG_3049
IMG_3050 

Since this one is going to my client, I painted another one using the same process for the stenciling.  Instead of an applique, I hand painted a nest.

IMG_2642
Thanks for visiting!
Linking to:
Stories From A to Z - Tutorial Tuesday
The Lettered Cottage
Chic on a Shoestring
Just a Girl 
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.
Posted in : ,

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.