Friday, April 1, 2011

Here’s a picture of the dresser I’m talking about today:

I tell you right up front I don’t have a picture of the dresser in its before state.  But I will tell you it matches this nightstand (they are part of the same set, though used it different rooms in our house).
So….consider this the BEFORE:
The black lines are deep grooves in the wood which have been painted. 

When I decided to move the dresser into my youngest daughter’s room, it required a makeover so it would match the room.  I had found some gorgeous green textured fabric that I wanted to incorporate in her room somehow, and with a dresser makeover looming, an idea was born.

I decided to pad and cover the drawer fronts for something different. These drawers worked well for this type of project, because they had enough of a lip on the edges for me to add batting and then wrap fabric around them.
First, I cut a piece of batting the same size as the drawer front. 

Next, I cut a piece of the fabric about 1.25 inches larger than the height and width of the  drawer front. 

Finally, I wrapped the fabric around the edges and used a staple gun to attached to the drawer fronts:

I attempted to fold the corner fabric with a miter fold.
The drawer pulls are a nonstandard size, and rather than replacing them, I opted for a more colorful solution of covering them with fabric.
For the fabric on the drawer pulls, I measured the width of the pull (about 5.5 inches) and then doubled that. This would give me 11 inches of fabric so I could have a scrunchy look to the pull. I folded the fabric in half lengthwise and then sewed the edges together, leaving the ends open.  I slipped the fabric onto the existing pulls, then just replaced the hardware.

This room started as a nursery, but as it grows with my daughter my inspiration for decorating is this room:
pink walls with blue and green room  

(source: Pottery Barn Teen, retired bedding)

I like how the walls are pink, but everything in the  room is green or blue.   So far, I’ve got the pink walls, the PB drapes, a green dresser, and a blue & white polka dot quilt on the bed. Not a big start, but a start none the less!
By the way, the dresser drawer project worked so well, I recreated a second one (garage sale, $10) for my other daughters room:dresser

Happy Furniture!

Linking to:
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to,,,,, or

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.