Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Although I did this project last year, I haven't blogged about it yet. So, I thought I'd do that today and show some before, during and after photos.

It started out as a sad and dated looking spice rack which I purchased on Ebay. I specifically wanted bottles that had a large enough flat area to work with. These had about a 2x3 flat area which worked great.

First thing I did was remove all the jars from the rack and clean them up. I threw away the contents, peeled off the labels, and washed and dried the bottles.

I spray painted the rack orange, and then used a black wash on top of that to tone down the orange...


Next, I spray painted the bottles black. (The lids were already a dark color, so I left them alone.) I then used stencils to paint stars and moons on the bottles. I freehanded the cursive text. They ended up looking like this:

I made a couple of hangtags next. I used regular manilla tags from the office store which I grunged up with a coffee bath and some oven time. Then I just handpainted on them with acrylic paints. I'd probably skip the tags if I had this to do over. Not too sure it really added anything.

I put everything back in place and it was done! (Note: I painted the words on the bottles toward the top where they would show when displayed in the rack.)


Before and after...


What is YOUR next makeover project? I'd love to hear about it!
Check out other fun do-it-yourself projects on Twice Remebered's blog.

I'm also showing off this makeover at 320 Sycamore ... take a peek at her place for more fun gift ideas!

I'm featuring my before and after spice rack over on Thrifty Chick's Before & After Party post so be sure to check there for even more way cool before & after pictures!
The owner of this website is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon properties including, but not limited to, amazon.com, endless.com, myhabit.com, smallparts.com, or amazonwireless.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.